Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Labor: Part 2

At 10.10 am, I was wheeled into Labour Room 7 so they can hook me up on a drip. The room was large, comfy and had a tv as well! Yeah! They had all that they needed to welcome our Poppy in this room.I could feel my contractions more and more now at 12 minutes apart, each lasting about 30 seconds. What does a contraction feel like? Well, it starts off with the tightening feeling on your belly then pain down there, then I could feel my bone near the hip open up a bit and hear a "pop" sound.

At this point the contractions were not so bad. I could still smile away and send out smses to friends and relatives telling them what's going on.

Then the contractions became 10 minutes apart, lasting for 45 seconds. Here, it became a bit more painful but still ok. I did my breathing exercise. I was thinking. This is not so bad.

Then 8 and 5 mins apart.... hmmm, getting a bit more painful.

Then 3mins apart lasting for a minute at least .... OK, painful but tolerable (yeah right!).
At 2.30pm I asked my husband to call the nurse. I want pain killers!!!! Come on, it's been more than 4 hours. I should have dilated to 7 cm at least now. How much longer?!!!

The nurse (SN Connie) came in and put her hand up my "u-huh" down there and said that I've dilated 5cm (WHAT?! 5cm only? You mean to say that for 4 hours I've only dilated an extra 2cm). She could feel the baby's head already, she's coming soon. Connie alerted the Dr and gave me a dose of painkillers.

Then my contractions came again. When is this painkiller going to kick in?! She warned me that it'll make me a bit drowsy, but I didn't feel drowsy at first. My darling husband was fantastic all the way through trying to make me laugh and got me to think of happy thoughts. Even though I was in pain, his presence and support made me feel a lot better. Though I did snap at him 1 time. Sorry darling.

When the Dr came, he checked and I was already 6cm dilated. So he said, we'll press on. My mind was blurred at that time... what do you mean press on?! He said, we'll just continue and wait for me to dilate to 8 - 9. At this point my husband and I thought 8 -9 pm. Die.

What the Dr meant was 8 - 9 cm! Phew.

Contractions were still at 3 mins apart but getting more intense. Each time it came, I just grabbed on to my husband's hand and let him calm me down. There were times I broke down in tears but my husband kept reassuring me that it'll be over soon, and again encouraged me with happy thoughts.

At 4.15pm, I really couldn't take it anymore and asked my husband to call the nurse. I wanted a second dose of pain killers. When Connie came in, I asked her, is the urge to push meaning like I want to urinate? She said YES.... urinate. She put her hand up my u-huh again and exclaimed... Wow, you're fast. It's 8cm now!!! Forget the pain killers. I just want this done and over with.

Connie called the Dr again. She put her hand up my u-uhuh and asked me to push. I did that and she exclaimed... It's 10cm now!

Great.... I sent out an sms to my friends and relatives (sempat lagi!!!)

The Dr came in and everything happened so fast from there on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sweet of fred to cheer u up. I takut pula tgk ur face expression gurl....mcm unbearable pain woh...aku sedangkan sakit "senggugut" pun waktu pms sudah kesakitan huh!!!! scary....