Saturday, August 20, 2011

1st Timer @ Blog Hop: My Wedding Dress

This is a blog hop initiated by Cath-J.


I'm watching TLC's show "Say Yes to the Dress" on Discovery Home & Health as I'm typing this.

I like watching this show because in a weird way, I find it quite entertaining to watch eager brides going through the stress, excitement, anxiety, shedding tears of joy and otherwise. Yes, we once-upon-a-bride have been through all that before.

As for me, there wasn't much drama surrounding my choice of dress. Well, maybe just one - will my dress be ready on time for the wedding?!!! You see, I had my dress custom made.

That's me in my wedding dress leaving my parents home for the very last time as a single woman. Adeh, I flipped my veil to the back because I wanted to be super comfortable walking to the car. Bila mau dekat church sudah, then I flipped it back to cover my face. LOL! Everyone (except for the ringbearer) had their dresses custom made. No rentals.

A married woman. My maid of honor and bridesmaids designed their own dresses. I wanted them to be comfortable in the dress design of their choice. We only decided on their fabric together.

After the church service, we returned to my parents' home for the lunch reception. We got changed into the traditional Kadazan costume and wore it till the reception was over (sampai malam bah ging!). The traditional costumes were "free" ie my old traditional costume, and the one my husband is wearing is on loan from my brother-in-law.

Why custom make? 3 main reasons:
  1. I had a really simple style in mind and I didn't want to be tempted by the fabulous dresses in bridal shops. My dress is really super simple but I loved every inch of it.
  2. Cheaper. All in all, I spent in total around RM2500 (husband paid for all ;) thank you darling). This includes material and labour from flower girls (I had 7 altogether), ring bearer's clothes were bought but included in the budget, maid-of-honor, 2 bridesmaids and even my husband's suit.
  3. We all get to keep what we wore. Maybe one day, I'll wear my wedding dress to a party. LOL!


12 comments:

CathJ said...

Bravo... Custom made.. the memory is more stronger... and it's a very beautiful dress... simple yet very nice...

Thank you for joining..

carolchs said...

hello, hop over here from the linky tools :)

i must say, i heart ur wedding dress. something that ive been eyeing too when i searched for my wedding gown before but couldnt find one that stunned me.

and the bridal party dresses i.e. the bride's maids and the flower girls...they are beautiful!

TaQuiLa said...

hi there..found ur blog from Cath-J~!

woweee, custome made is always the best! I love ur wedding gown and yes, if I have one like that, I will surely wear it again. I just love your wedding's party fabric design! what an eye-catching :P

StellaClaire-Richard said...

Wow..custom amde dress..Nice. :)
The important thing is it suit u and satisfying ur need. :)

Cantik oh ur gown..:)

StellaClaire-Richard said...

*made

AngelineJ said...

CathJ: Thanks so much. Its fun to join this blog hop and reading the superb stories from other once-upon-a-brides. I think u may recognise one of my bridesmaids? ;)

AngelineJ said...

Chegu Carol: Thank u! It was a group effort to pull everything together in just 2 months! I'm so thankful to have supportive people around.

AngelineJ said...

Sheila: Thanks for hopping over and your comments. It was a beautiful surprise to see how everything came and fit together on the actual wedding day.

AngelineJ said...

Stella: Thanks. Yes, I totally agree. It doesn't matter whether we rent or tailor make the wedding dress. So long as it suits our character, our style, comfortable and oh yes fit our budget... then it'll be the perfect dress for us.

Rose Flower said...

Nice post ma'am... : ) A day to remember and am honored to be part of it. Cheers : )

AngelineJ said...

'Twas a pleasure having u on board Rosie!!!

So ada mau pi survey & sukat-sukat kain lagi kah ni anytime soon haaaa? hehehe!

kim23 said...

thanks for sharing your adorable wedding dress with us, Angeline! custom made? You really made a great choice! Your bridesmaids also looked great and stunning in their own dresses! You had a very beautiful wedding! Congratulations! Cheers!