Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Jealousy in the house

From the moment I found out that I was pregnant, I've been anticipating that Mia would become jealous of the little one. But I did not anticipate HOW jealous she'd get.

Up until recently, Mia was OK with having her brother around. Up until he moved into our bedroom that is. For the first 2 weeks, Alan was being fully cared for by the confinement lady and now that the confinement lady only comes over 6.30am - 7pm daily means that he would be sleeping with us in our room. This arrangement was my decision because I wanted Mia to slowly get used to the fact that there are 4 of us in the family now.

The first signs of Mia's jealousy and anger was the moment our domestic help and confinement lady moved his crib into our bedroom. Mia tried to push the crib out!

Then the following happened:
  1. I carried Alan in the living room. Mia starts crying and tried to push Alan away from my arms.
  2. Mia cried and pulled me to our domestic help. Mia then gestured that I hand Alan over to the domestic help.
  3. Seeing Mia so depressed, I handed Alan to the domestic help, then Mia pulled my hand so that I'd be far from Alan.
  4. Later I took both Mia and Alan to our room, laid Alan in his crib to sleep and let Mia watch her movie on the Ipod. She was ok and soon fell asleep.
  5. When she woke up and saw me cradling Alan, she gave us the EVIL look. OMG! Then she started to cry again. By this time my husband was home already.
  6. Then, she vomited on our bed. Luckily, my husband managed to grab a towel in time to "catch" the vomit before it hit the bed.
  7. When I felt her forehead, she was really warm.
  8. Jealousy fever in the house:
Another reason why this blog has been idle of late.

Everytime Mia sees me carrying Alan, she'd cry. Feeding time (for both both her and Alan) is a nightmare. She cries when I feed him. And when its time for her feeding, she insists that I carry her in my arms and hold her bottle for her. And get this, she wants be to "burp" her after feeding, just like I do to Alan!

Now I'm having a headache and heartache thinking how can we go about this.

4 comments:

Cinda said...

Oh I remember those days too. Ash was so upset with having Tristan around. She once asked if we could take him back to the hospital to leave him there because she didn't want him anymore. She was 5 years old at the time :) When we had Jacob there was no hostility towards him from his siblings but its the other way around because Jacob is the one who gets jealous. He will push away Tristan if he sits too close to us.

Anne B. said...

hey congrats on ur new baby...poor mia,she'll get used to it soon...thats why im scared to add another one now coz my little girl only 1y 7m now...

Uzoeiy @ Zoi said...

doi gia Mia..i wonder how Yong2 will react when our 2nd baby comes out. Nervous juga ni. Sebab sekarang sometimes dia cakap mau ada adik, then kdg2 nda mau..

AngelineJ said...

Cinda: Every situation is unique I suppose. So cute of Ash asking to "return" Tristan to the hospital! LOL

Anne: Thanks. Oh dear. Don't let our experiences discourage u! By the way, if you start your "project" now, the new baby will come when your girl is already at least 2 years 4 months... By that time, it would be easier to make her understand and accept perhaps.

Evelyn: A lot easier for you to communicate to Yong yong on his adik I think. Mana tau, super sayang mungkin dia sama adik nya!