Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thursday Thought

I read somewhere that Malaysia is ranked number 9 in English Proficiency Index by Education First (EF). According to their website, EF was founded in 1965, and is "today the world’s largest privately held education company that specializes in language training, educational travel, academic degrees, and cultural exchange".

FYI, the Top Ten in the report are:
  1. Norway
  2. Netherlands
  3. Denmark
  4. Sweden
  5. Finland
  6. Austria
  7. Belgium
  8. Germany
  9. Malaysia
  10. Poland
Wow! Malaysia is No 9!

Which then makes me wonder about the blunders made below. The first 3 pictures were taken at the recent BIMP-EAGA Expo held at the Sabah Trade Centre. The other 3 photos were taken in my room at SMC while waiting to be discharged after delivering Alan.




If thousands (or in the case of SMC, millions) of ringgit can be spent on organising the event/purchasing the equipments, why can't they invest a little bit of money and time to make sure that correct spelling were used on the signboards/labels. At the very least, I'm sure that there is at least someone in their team who can help proofread (for free) before printing.

Just a thought.

4 comments:

Cinda said...

I not sure I can believe that list.... not impressed with the current state of education here or where it will be in the future.

Don Stephens said...

I would think Singapore would be way ahead of us. U can't believe a lot of this ranking due to lobbying $$$$ factor.

AngelineJ said...

Hey Cinda & Don. Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes, I'd agree with both of you.

We are after all dictated by those can't decide whether the teaching of Maths and English should be in English or BM.

Frankly, I was also surprised not to see Singapore on the list. But then again, $$$$ got the job done, once more.

SteffianaJ said...

Bikin malu. The other day I saw a notice 'Please do not seat here' in a UNIVERSITY. Hahahaha.

And also at a PC Fair in a UNIVERSITY, I saw 'stainless steal'.