Friday, December 31, 2010

Ushering in 2011

Today the last day of 2010. And what a year it has been. I feel like I've been on an emotional roller coaster with moments of excitement, anxiety, anger, sadness, relief, and happiness.

In the past I used to usher in the new year with my family and friends. At the stroke of midnight, my late father used to take out his gun and fire into the sky to "announce" the arrival of the new year while my brothers, cousins and friends would splash each other with water with whatever means they can - water hose, pail, bottles. I guess this wouldn't be happening this year. My dad passed away in May this year and this has been a big cloud over my head and in my heart, and it's not going away.

I hope I don't get any midnight calls to wish "Happy New Year" because it gives me the creeps. I got a late night call from my brother moments before my father passed away and to me, out of hours calls are a no no now.... unless of course its an emergency or work related. I think its just part of phone etiquette.

When I entered my 30's, my new year celebrations were celebrated with my best friend Janet... clubbing... and then with her family as her brothers would always have superb fireworks action to welcome the new year. It's hilarious watching her dogs getting scared of the noise and of course her nephew would hide! I won't be there tonight. Janet is married now and this year (as in last year) she is celebrating her new year in Canada with her husband Magdy. I'm sure they'll be having great time together there.

But wherever I've been during those hours or minutes before the coming of the new year... be it in the night clubs, at home with my family, or with Janet and her family.... one thing is for sure - there's always bbq-ed chicken wings to enjoy.

There's no loud music, relatives or hoards of strangers around us hugging and wishing everyone happy new year, water fiesta, fireworks or even a bbq for us at home tonight. But guess what, there is (or shall I say "was" now) chicken wings!
Husband and I went to "tapau" bbq chicken wings from a stall near our home. We gobbled each of these flap-flaps just now!

So to all of you out there, I hope you are having a wonderful time ushering the new year... however and whatever way you choose to celebrate.

Yes, mine is gonna be quiet but that's the way I wanted it to be this year. I wish for all of us good health and greater successes in 2011.

1 comment:

SJB aka SUELYN J-B. said...

Terpingin saya mahu makan tu ayam hehe.