Saturday, June 27, 2009

Goodbye to 2 great icons

Being a late riser and even later news reader, I found out about the deaths of 2 icons of the entertainment world quite late. And the person who informed me of all people was our old cable guy who translated the news in Chinese to Malay for me.

While the world was pouring tremendous grief for the loss of Michael Jackson, I was equally stunned by the the original Charlie's Angels, my style icon of the late 70's, early 80's - Farah Fawcett. She lost her battle to cancer at the age of 62.

I still remember during my early years how I longed to have her haircut. You know what I mean, the trademark look which was fluffy with lots of flip and was created with hot rollers.
At the time, I didn't know what hot rollers meant, but I knew the hairdryer. I tried in vain to blowdry my hair so that it resembled Farah's hair. It was a lost cause though. My mum was still hanging on to her idol and cut our hair like her cool style icon - The Beatles.
And I still tried to do the Farah Fawcett. Failed.

And it didn't end there. This attachment of my mum continues today with the 2nd generation in our family.

My niece, Marianne (Anne Anne)

Hmmm, when Poppy "pops" out of me, I'll have to leave STRICT instructions with my mum that when she's babysitting NOT to cut Poppy's hair.

The sudden death of Michael Jackson at age 50 due to cardiac arrest shocked the world and overshadowed Farah Fawcett's death. He was suppose to perform at a final string of 50 concerts in London starting next month. Hmmm, 5050 - there's a number for those 4-digit addicts out there.

My growing up years in Plymouth, England were filled with his hits Billy Jean, Beat It, Bad, and Thriller. I remember that all we could talk about in school was if we saw his latest video on Top of the Pops, did we tape his video on tv, how cool was his dance move, let's try out some of his moves, did anyone buy his tape yet, how great it would be to have a red jacket like his, do you think he has a girlfriend.
Through the 80's, 90's and new millennium, we've seen how his music has evolved from rebellious, that of horror to messages of peace and care for our world.

The later part of his life was filled with scandals and questionable behaviours. There was also the issue of his own evolution with all the plastic surgeries to make him look "different", the drugs and treatments he's been taking to drown his loneliness, pain and sorrow.

It really didn't matter whether he was a controversial figure or not, psychologically troubled or not, black or white, there is no doubt that the King of Pop continued to have followers worldwide. His contribution to both the music and entertainment industry is historical and shall remain so.

No comments: