Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Our storeroom was really cluttered. Much of the mess was because of the stacks of old newspapers.

We don't subscribe to any newspapers because I find it quite wasteful really. Sometimes we're away on holidays and I ask the delivery boy not to send papers during those times. Yet, we get charged the same amount for the full month. So by no longer subscribing, this way we get to reduce our waste ie spending unnecessary cash.

My in-laws subscribe to the Daily Express and are normally finished reading the papers come evening time. So, each evening my husband takes the newspaper from his parents home as he drops off their mail. There you go: reuse!

But as time goes by, we accumulate a lot of newspapers in this house. I didn't want to just throw them out. Rather, I felt charitable and drove to our church to drop off the newspapers at their recycling bin. However, when I got there, the church gate was shut!

Then I drove to Asia Paper Recycle in Kg Kibabaig near Donggongon.

I was surprised to see that someone sent their pre-wedding photo album to the recycling plant. Undoubtedly we normally don't look at the pre-wedding photo album much after the wedding but those things are expensive to make!

Which is why during our wedding, my husband and I did not take any packages with the bridal shop. Instead, we invested in a professional photographer to take our pictures on the wedding day itself. We didn't even hire wedding gowns or suits. We had our own gown/suits tailor made. It was what we wanted, was much cheaper and we get to keep them.

Anyway, the workers at the recycling plant were really busy but one staff did come to my aid really fast and started to unload the stacks and stacks of newspapers from the back of my SUV.

After a while, another staff came back to me with .... MONEY!

34kg of old newspapers and I get RM3.40. Huh?! That doesn't even cover the cost of my petrol. Nonetheless, I felt pretty good because at least I help in a little way to reduce unnecessary landfill and save our planet.

Bonus time:

Arriving home, I see Alan busy practicing his flip. Hardworking boy.

For his reward, I let him watch Mia's Elmo DVD and play with her Elmo doll. He's a hugger alright, he just rolled to his side and hugged Elmo as he watched Elmo on TV.

No comments: