Saturday, July 11, 2009

4th Sabah International Folklore Festival

While waiting for our food to be served, Amy, Carol, Nora & I went to the Grand Restroom for a break. Coming out refreshed, we stopped for a photog moment with one of the dancers from Kazhakstan.

Ok, this blog post should have been up days ago. But I've been so engrossed with my Counseling course that I've been putting it off for nearly a week.

Janet, Norashikin, Carol, Amy and I attended the 4th SIFF Prime Show held at the Grand Ballroom @ 1Borneo. Hubby was also there together with his brother Ah-Sheng + wife Irene, and our dear friend Zyee's 2 handsome brothers.

How was it, you may ask? Well, I was quite disappointed. Maybe this was due to my high expectations. For one, the only grand thing about the ballroom was its restroom. And then the rest of it:
  • the ballroom itself felt cramped
  • the stage was small and too low to see much of the activities there. I mean if its going to be a dinner show, the organisers should have foreseen that they'd be a lot of movements by the wait staff in serving food thus blocking the view of the stage. They really should have made the stage a bit higher
  • the food, oh my gosh. How shall I put it, hmmmm, it was edible (and I'm being kind here). The presentation of the food was really slow. By 9.30pm, we were only being served the 2nd dish. By the time all the dances were performed, we still haven't been served the dessert. Fed up, we left without waiting for it
  • even the wait staff attending to our table was not properly trained. He didn't know how to slice the fish for us and was so nervous to do it, he asked if any of us know how to cut the fish! We tried to encourage him to just do it and it didn't matter if it wasn't perfect. In the end, Norashikin had to take the knife away from him and cut the fish for all of us
  • Sound system - could have been better.
I really hope that they do improve in the organising of the Prime Show in the years to come. I've attended the Prime Show years before and they were much better.

I mean, we're paying a minimum of RM1000 per table for the dinner show and I really don't feel that this time round, we're getting our money's worth. Honestly, it really should have been held in a hotel like STAR or Sutera Harbour of which has more experience, better ambience, and are more capable of handling such functions.

On the plus side, the dancers from Philippines were great. It was not a surprise to us that they nearly made a clean sweep of all the awards. The troupe performed a medley of 3 dances. Two of which are in this video clip:

2 comments:

Aunty J said...

Eh i was there wt my coligs too...didnt get to see you pula...ya ba we were so hungry tht night oh..luckily i had something light b4 i came...even then i was still hungry and yes i agree i was disapointed with the whole event too...but I love the performances from the Philipines and Kalimantan :)

AngelineJ said...

JOYCE! I saw your blog & link. We didn't bump in to each other pula... I suppose that's what they call "so near yet so far...." LOL!