Friday, May 6, 2011

Undomestic Goddess

When we found out I was pregnant, we were happy but at the same time a lot of questions came to mind.

How are we to handle 2 kids under the age of 2? Even though I'm a SAHM, it'll be scary. No maid. My life was already chaotic even with 1 baby... what with the housework to be done, and me taking care of the very needy Mia at the same time.

Let me paint a picture of just how bad it was.

Here's how I decide when to do laundry. I look into the closet and see if my husband still has shirts to wear to work. If it’s down to 1... time to do laundry and ironing! Yes, only when he is left with 1 shirt! Even when I've done the laundry, most times they don't get folded/ironed for many many days, unless of course we have to wear the clothes.

Dinner = tapau (take away). I rarely cooked. Most days, my husband goes to eat at his parents place which always makes me feel bad because I feel that this gives the impression to his family that I fail as a wife, ie can't even cook dinner for the husband.

So a Domestic Goddess I was NOT! But on most days I did manage to keep the house clean on the surface, just not so organised. I managed to keep Mia entertained even though she drives me up the wall.

1 kid, yes, maybe I could survive. 2 kids and housework, NO WAY! I needed help and we finally managed to get a full-time domestic help in mid-February this year. Young she may be but she's a really big help with the housework and the kids.

Nonetheless, I still have a lot to do first like, organising things in the manner I like and then she can just maintain it as such. I wasn't able to do this earlier because of my big belly situation late in my pregnancy, and then came the confinement.

Now that my confinement period is over, it is still a bit of a challenge because Mia likes to climb on furniture, take things out of the closet and throw them everywhere. I can't leave her alone because she pose a threat to herself and her little brother. Who knows, she might go poke his eyes, or worse still, sit on him!

I really need at least a couple of hours a day to be able to get started on organising the house and myself. The solution.... Daycare.

3 comments:

Anne B. said...

oooo i can imagine ur situation Angeline ;) i know i am not ready yet to have another one, with my situation away frm family.

AngelineJ said...

Hi Anne. Its really difficult to be Minister of Home Affairs if you don't have any help at all. Drains you physically, mentally and emotionally. If you're not ready, then better wait. But don't wait too long otherwise, hilang mood pula. LOL!

Cinda said...

It took me 3years to even think of having another one or as Donald would say we get silly every 5 years. When Tristan was born Ash wanted to give him back to the hospital but she slowly came round to him and I got her involved looking after him but I can understand the age gap is much closer with Mia so hang on it will work out.